Friday, August 22, 2014

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata (Madlib Invazion) (2014)





I watch Game Of Thrones. I can't identify with any of it. Both literally because it's 2014 on planet Earth and figuratively because I'm in no position of power. So I thought it was always weird when nerds give other nerds a hard time for listening to rap music because there's no way to identify with the subject matter. Yeah, duh, that's the whole point. I've never been thuggin' but that doesn't mean I can't listen to Freddie Gibbs rapping about it at full volume. Rap music is my musical Game Of Thrones. Freddie Gibbs might not be a Jon Snow (that would be Drake obviously) but he's got the cold flow of The Hound. Madlib provides the production on Piñata which is the hip-hop equivalent of HBO.

Piñata might lack turn up anthems, the choruses aren't going to stay with you. What will stay with you is Freddie's grimey storytelling of what's going on in Gary, Indiana. It's not as playful as Madlib's other project with MF Doom, Madvillain. This isn't chill out music, it's aggressive. What's the message? I don't care. I like listening to rap music, not appreciating hip hop culture. I like watching Game Of Thrones but you won't see me wylin' out at the Rennaisance fair.

If you want to listen to music that you can relate to pick up a guitar and play songs in the mirror. Read your diary. Take a selfie. But if you don't care about identifying with the subject matter of a song then Piñata is the album. The struggle in Westeros is real.

-Z

No comments:

Post a Comment