Friday, August 1, 2014

Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire For No Witness (Jagjaguwar) (2014)





I've been in love with Angel Olsen ever since I first heard "The Waiting". How could you possibly hear that song and not wish it was about you? Then when I heard "Sweet Dreams" I knew it was more than love. It was more than destiny. It was divine intervention from a spiritual leviathan riding on the waves of pure devotion. How could one possibly hear her howling about sleeping alone and not fantasize filling that half empty bed? No matter who I end up dating, I know if Angel Olsen were to drop in and smile in my direction the relationship would be over. Some people might say this is a sexist way to listen to music but they're dull. This has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with perfection.

That being said, Burn Your Fire For No Witness is far from perfect. The tracks can stand on their own alright. She's singing in them, so they include her voice. And they include her all too earnest lyrics. Therefore they can't be anything less than great. But there's something about the flow of the album that makes you forget you're listening to it. It will end and Cold World will come on. You forgot that you were supposed to be listening to it for the review you're writing. Maybe it's the production that gets in the way of the essence of Angel Olsen that is Angel Olsen. I wish there was a live version of this where it was just acoustic guitar and her voice. Maybe she just doesn't translate to the full length properly.

Burn Your Fire For No Witness feels closer to the end. She's done waiting for him or her. Her dreams are broken upon waking. Lyrically there's more repetition and simplicity. She's pining for tomorrow. I just want to put my hands and arms into my speakers and hold her tight. I'd say, "Everything will be alright, Angel." I would convince her. I would convince myself. "If you've still got some light in you then go before it's gone/Burn your fire for no witness, it's the only way it's done." Or maybe it's already too late.

-Z

No comments:

Post a Comment