Thursday, August 14, 2014

Have A Nice Life - The Unnatural World (Flenser / Enemies List) (2014)





The Unnatural World is a completely humorless album. It has the dark mood of post-punk bands like Joy Division. There's a heavier aura haunting the eight tracks that you'd expect from a Neurosis album. For such a full and loud sound, Have A Nice Life has done a perfect job at conveying the feeling of isolation.

A few months ago I watched the documentary about Slint, Breadcrumb Trail. What stood out the most to me was that the guys from Slint were big goofballs. I would have never guessed that from listening to Spiderland. So now when I listen to The Unnatural World I imagine Have A Nice Life members Dan Barrett and Tim Macuga walking around Middletown, Connecticut farting on payphones.

I have never farted on a payphone. Or any phone for that matter. I have no idea where I'm going with this. But The Unnatural World has been on constant rotation and I feel comfortable calling it one of the best records of 2014.

-Z

No comments:

Post a Comment